Current:Home > FinanceRussia’s ‘General Armageddon’ reportedly dismissed after vanishing in wake of Wagner uprising -Capitatum
Russia’s ‘General Armageddon’ reportedly dismissed after vanishing in wake of Wagner uprising
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-06 07:52:24
Gen. Sergei Surovikin, a former commander of Russia’s forces in Ukraine who was linked to the leader of an armed rebellion, has been dismissed from his job as chief of the air force, according to Russian state media. The report Wednesday came after weeks of uncertainty about his fate following the short-lived uprising.
Surovikin has not been seen in public since armed rebels marched toward Moscow in June, led by Yevgeny Prigozhin, the chief of the Wagner mercenary group. In a video released during the uprising, Surovikin urged Prigozhin’s men to pull back.
During his long absence, Russian media have speculated about Surovikin’s whereabouts, with some claiming he had been detained due to his purported close ties to Prigozhin.
Russian state news agency RIA Novosti, citing an anonymous source, reported that Surovikin has been replaced as commander of the Russian Aerospace Forces by Col. Gen. Viktor Afzalov, who is currently head of the main staff of the air force.
The agency frequently represents the official position of the Kremlin through reports citing anonymous officials in Russia’s defense and security establishment.
The Russian government has not commented on the report, and The Associated Press was not able to confirm it independently.
Russian daily newspaper RBC wrote that Surovikin is being transferred to a new job and is now on vacation.
Alexei Venediktov, the former head of the now-closed radio station Ekho Moskvy, and Ksenia Sobchak, the daughter of a Putin-linked politician, both wrote on social media Tuesday that Surovikin had been removed.
In late June, Surovikin’s daughter told the Russian social media channel Baza that her father had not been arrested.
The Wagner uprising posed the most serious challenge to President Vladimir Putin’s 23-year rule and reports circulated that Surovikin had known about it in advance.
According to Sobchak, Surovikin was removed from his post Aug. 18, “by a closed decree. The family still has no contact with him.”
Surovikin was dubbed “General Armageddon” for his brutal military campaign in Syria and led Russia’s operations in Ukraine between October 2022 and January 2023. Under his command, Russian forces unleashed regular missile barrages on Ukrainian cities, significantly damaging civilian infrastructure and disrupting heating, electricity and water supplies.
Both Surovikin and Prigozhin were both active in Syria, where Russian forces have fought to shore up Syrian President Bashar Assad’s government since 2015.
Surovikin was replaced as commander in Russia’s war in Ukraine by Chief of General Staff Gen. Valery Gerasimov, following Russia’s withdrawal from the southern city of Kherson amid a swift counteroffensive by Kyiv’s troops, but the air force general continued to serve under Gerasimov as a deputy commander.
Prigozhin had spoken positively of Surovikin while criticizing Russia’s military brass, and suggested he should be appointed General Staff chief to replace Gerasimov.
veryGood! (73)
Related
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- Former Republican House Speaker John Boehner says it's time for GOP to move on from Trump
- CDC issues new opioid prescribing guidance, giving doctors more leeway to treat pain
- Authors Retract Study Finding Elevated Pollution Near Ohio Fracking Wells
- Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
- Is Coal Ash Killing This Oklahoma Town?
- Is the IOGCC, Created by Congress in 1935, Now a Secret Oil and Gas Lobby?
- ‘This Was Preventable’: Football Heat Deaths and the Rising Temperature
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- Roberta Flack announces she has ALS
Ranking
- Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
- Sorry Gen Xers and Millennials, MTV News Is Shutting Down After 36 Years
- Dozens of Countries Take Aim at Climate Super Pollutants
- Flash Deal: Save $175 on a Margaritaville Bali Frozen Concoction Maker
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Bryan Cranston says he will soon take a break from acting
- Americans with disabilities need an updated long-term care plan, say advocates
- Real Housewives of Miami's Guerdy Abraira Shares Breast Cancer Diagnosis
Recommendation
Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
Flash Deal: Save $175 on a Margaritaville Bali Frozen Concoction Maker
Temptation Island Is Back With Big Twists: Meet the Season 5 Couples and Singles
Georgia's highest court reinstates ban on abortions after 6 weeks
Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
Environmental Group Alleges Scientific Fraud in Disputed Methane Studies
Control of Congress matters. But which party now runs your state might matter more
Florida woman who fatally shot neighbor called victim's children the n-word and Black slave, arrest report says